Sunday, April 22, 2012

Touring Rural South Carolina Part 1

A few days ago, Jeremy took me on a tour of rural South Carolina. On the first day we visited Barnwell and Allendale counties. I LOVE living in the rural south. It is so quiet and so peaceful. 

 Here are few pictures that I took:

This is Smyrna Baptist Church built in the 1820s in Allendale county.



The next church requires a little story. A man named William Robinson Erwin got kicked out of Smyrna Baptist Church because of a little drinking and gambling problem. According to the church documents he was excommunicated for heresy. So he decided to build his own church: Antioch Christian Church.

This church was built in 1833 (and it is right down the road from Smyrna Baptist Church). There are now several Antioch Christian Churches located all over the south. 


2 comments:

Aquinas' Goose said...

I love that picture of the two of you!

Casey said...

Wow! Thanks for the mini-history lesson... I had no idea! Very cool (: